June 10, 2011

Smile though your teeth are aching

I am currently trying so hard to ignore a nerve-cracking pain. So severe! So painful! So agonizing! (Do I sound exaggerated?!?).  Because it is a TOOTHACHE!!! What do you expect? 

Today is a very stressful day...very frustrating...very bad.

My teeth has already caused me a lot of trouble. Apart from those simple recurrent pain due to dental cavities.

Just recently I underwent minor surgery—wisdom tooth extraction because of severe pain brought about by mesial impaction and tooth decay as well. Even my teeth are such a failure having been failed to erupt in its expected place. There goes my inadequate jaw bone, tooth crowding and impaction—my anatomy sucks.  I had survived that pain any way.

I was also diagnosed with temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJD) in 2006. My jaws tend to locked-in. I barely open my mouth to an extent that I can’t fit more than two fingers in my mouth. Can you imagine the risk of having it?.  It affected my ability to speak, eat, chew, swallow, and make facial expressions. I suffered severe pain in the neck and shoulders, chronic headache, jaw muscle stiffness, painful clicking, popping or grating in the jaw joint when opening or closing the mouth. Name it, I experienced them most likely. I wore splint (for more than a year) to correct bite and to prevent farther complications. *sigh* I don't want that to happen anymore...I am now feeling lucky I can open my mouth normally. 

My teeth became so big deal to me then. I decided to wear braces more than a year ago to improve my dental health and of course to look trendy also (*grin*). I know it looks weird too. Shame on us for considering braces as a fashion statement but that’s a reality... It is partly for a “good look” and partly to correct malocclusion.
The day I had my braces on
There are times I curse myself for wearing braces especially when I feel the pressure as my teeth moves. I became one of the non-compliant patients, instead of having the adjustment done every month I had it once in three or six months! I know it will lengthen the time of me wearing braces but I really hate monthly pains. 

What should I say…Smile! Just smile…it’s the simplest strategy on how to survive difficult times. Mind over matter, right? argh! I hope it will work with toothaches. I hope "sleeping/ignoring/pretending to be OK" can take the pain away from me since I refused medication.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Born to Rant

happy (34) Med life (29) hope (29) struggle (25) realization (24) bored (23) love (21) relationship (20) sad (20) friends (19) hate (19) pain (18) disappointment (17) pregnant (17) baby (16) empty (16) choice (15) lost (15) moving on (15) home (14) searching (14) plan (12) family (11) fear (11) fraternity (10) letter (10) tired (10) writing (10) Confuse (9) Failure (9) bum (9) freedom (9) frustration (9) missing you (9) work (9) blog (8) funny (8) letting go (8) prayer (8) time travel (8) travel (8) drawing (7) facebook (7) responsibility (7) silence (7) trust (7) unfaithful (7) Memory (6) Rain (6) belief (6) distracted (6) expectations (6) medicine (6) Lazy (5) Regret (5) U.P. Miag-ao (5) acceptance (5) becoming a doctor (5) crazy (5) food (5) Aklan (4) MD Mom (4) TOP TEN THINGS (4) alone (4) break-ups (4) destiny (4) misunderstood (4) success (4) truth (4) unfair (4) Gossip (3) birthday (3) coffee (3) dream (3) dreams (3) envy (3) mad (3) personality (3) pretend (3) promises (3) puzzle (3) regrets (3) 100 days to heaven (2) affair (2) annoyed (2) anotherday (2) christmas (2) contentment (2) death (2) forgiveness (2) friends zone (2) guilt (2) insomnia (2) laughter (2) lover (2) numb (2) phone calls (2) poem (2) positive (2) pursue (2) rant (2) Father's day (1) Leech (1) Mother (1) Vigan City (1) Working mom (1) age (1) breakfast (1) clerkship (1) color (1) driver (1) emoticon (1) friends with benefit (1) graduation (1) lesson (1) lie (1) make-up (1) monday madness (1) mondaymadness (1) monthsary (1) new year (1) office (1) pictorial (1) poker face (1) poor service (1) pressure (1) prophecy (1) puting elepante (1) rejection (1) ring (1) rubix cube (1) sacrifice (1) shopping (1) stay-at-home-mom (1) studio (1) summer (1) thanks (1) tide wave (1) yosi (1)