To cross the line and to go beyond the boundaries, that is what friends do: Two people enjoying the comfort being between a serious relationship and being just a simple friend. Such relationship do exists but how could that possibly be safe? Physically, emotionally, Spiritually, Socially and morally it is not healthy, obviously. It is beyond norms thus it is one of the relationships that you can never be proud of.
How about being in a friends-with-benefits-zone while the two of you are in a serious relationship with someone else? Infidelity. It is way too complicated. Complicated relationship made even more complicated. Sounds sad. Sounds irritating. Sounds real.
Since our culture dictated us what is supposed to be the right relationship, anything beyond is considered unacceptable. A violence to each and everyone around, even a violence to people who has nothing to do in your life.
Behind the line "relationship just happened" is a deeper reason why people gets involved with one another. Whatever that is, who are we to judge them?
Is it Love? Happiness? Security? Boredom? Hate? Insecurity? what then?
We all have our reasons. Love sometimes is not enough. You want to feel being wanted and accepted. You're just happy with that someone. Perhaps, that physical attraction every single time your eyes met is way too strong that you can't resist. Any reasons do. Maybe, its a way of getting even to those who have hurt you. It can be just a plain curiosity.
Falling in love with someone else is a choice, falling out of love is also a choice, to keep the relationship is a choice, and what relationship to keep is as well a choice. But an affair is an affair, the choice to make it serious is uncertain.
Standing between the boundary of a serious relationship and friendship is fun. but you can't stand there forever. While you are still in that boundary, there are things to remember:
- Don't fall in love. This is just an affair and this won't last.
- Accept the fact that there is no real love in affair, if there is, then it is no longer an affair. Hopes of leaving the primary relationship will never happen. If one of you does, THINK again.
- Expect something worse. You're cheating (yes! a serious act of cheating) so the one you cheated on can leave you anytime and you have no chance to save the relationship. you can be forgiven, you can't be trusted.
- Keep it a secret. This is a relationship you can never be proud of. No one will be proud of you and no one will praise you how good a cheater you are. Chances are, you'll soon be losing friends and getting their eyebrows raise. Wear that poker-face and act there is nothing between the two of you.
- keep it simple. Since this is a no-strings-attached kind, there's no need to demand for anything especially for time and attention. So you shouldn't be complaining and there should be no explaining.
- No messages, no emails, no comments on social media, just nothing.
- Protect your health. This is not all about having fun in bed. Think of getting STDs.
- You can't be jealous. You can't be emotionally involved. Go back to the first bullet